History of the RCA
There has been a Civic Association since 1911, even before the formation of the Sixth Taxing District. It has been instrumental in bringing about many community improvements, among them the purchase of the beach property by the District in 1943. The purpose of the Association is to be a non-profit organization organized exclusively to bring about civic betterment, further the common good and enhance the social welfare of the people of the community.
Charitable and educational purposes are expressly permitted and desirable. There are no dues, as it is supported by contributions and fund-raising projects. Under the by-laws, all residents and property owners of voting age in the District are automatically members of the Association. The annual meeting of members is held each January.
The members of the Board, elected for four-year terms, meet monthly to coordinate activities.The Association provides a forum for residents to voice their concerns about the community and suggest steps that could be taken to improve Rowayton. Motions carried on the floor enable the Civic Association to recommend to the Commissioners or City Government a particular course of action.