Letter from the RCA President
One of the many benefits of living in the Northeast, and especially Rowayton, is the changing of the seasons. Over the summer months, we spend long warm days boating, swimming, and beaching. Then when the autumn arrives we layer up to go apple picking, to see the fall foliage and to take the kids Trick or Treating.
Summer is a time to relax, vacation and lean back. Autumn is a time to reset, lean in and reflect on all the activities that were packed into the last several months. How many communities in the area offer Comedy, Music, Movies, Fireworks, Swim and Road Races? How many towns in Fairfield County CT, can boast of an authentic Country Fair that we affectionately call the River Ramble, filled with food, music, beer, vendors, a petting zoo and kids games?
Although the seasons change the RCA stays busy organizing events enjoyed by all ages; Youth Soccer and Underground, the 5th Annual Oktoberfest and the Halloween Haunted House. Then to close out the year, the RCA stages Light Up Rowayton, the annual Santa Run and our much-celebrated Nativity Pageant.
This past spring, as part of the RCA’s mission to enrich the lives of Rowayton residents, we started the Slow Down in Town campaign to make our roads a little bit safer. We provided lawn signs to anyone that asked, we distributed SDIT merchandise at the River Ramble, and we hung a new banner across Rowayton Avenue adjacent to Pinkney Park. Although we have no jurisdiction to enforce speeding, the campaign is there to remind all of us to drive a little slower.
Anecdotally, the campaign appears to be working, and we’ve already had some jealous nearby town residents relocate a few of our signs to their own neighborhood. I hope we are starting a safety trend!
The RCA wouldn’t exist without donations made by generous residents, friends and sponsors. As our events continue to grow, so do our needs for additional support. Please consider donating to our upcoming annual fund or sharing your talents by joining the RCA as a Board Member. Your support allows us to give back, not only to our own events, but also to the educational and cultural institutions that make our little community truly special. We have been fortunate enough this year to provide grants to: Rowayton Elementary School, Roton Middle School, Brien McMahon High School, Rowayton Gardeners, Rowayton Little League, Underground, Shakespeare on the Sound, The Rowayton Library and The Hands for Life.
As I write this, my final letter as RCA President, I’ve had a chance to reflect on all the things the RCA has accomplished over the past few years. We’ve added fun community activities for all age groups, we stepped up our communication and promotion of all Rowayton Happenings, and we’ve raised more money allowing us to offer grants to more local non-profits who are in need. Year in and year out this is made possible by the 25 volunteers on the RCA Board who love living here and who care to make it better for everyone.
See you around town.
The mission of the Rowayton Civic Association is to enrich the lives of Rowayton residents and neighbors through providing cultural programs, educational events and support of local community initiatives. The RCA invites all residents to become involved in the RCA through volunteerism and helping to identify the needs of our community.
Saturday, September 9:
Friday, September 15:
Sep 16-23: Norwalk Land Trust/National Estuary Week
Oct/date TBD: Rowayton Platform Tennis Season Opener
Fri, Oct 6: Rowayton School 6th Annual Walkathon (2pm)
Saturday, October 7:
Thu, Oct 19: United Church Nursery School Open House (6:30-8pm)
Sunday, October 22: RCA Halloween Celebration (1pm)
Sat, Nov 4: Community Cooperative Nursery School Open House (10am – 12pm)
Sat, Nov 4: United Methodist Church Harvest Fair (11am – 3pm)
Thu, Nov 23: 7h Annual Rowayton Turkey Trot (9:30am)
Sunday, November 26:
Sunday, November 26:
Sat, Dec 2: Rowayton Gardeners Annual Christmas Market (10am-1pm)
Sunday, December 3:
Sun, Dec 3: Rowayton Fire Department Holiday Toy Collection (1-3pm)
Saturday, December 9:
Sunday, December 10:
Sat, Jan 6: Five Mile River Nursery School Open House (2pm)
Tue, Jan 9: Community Cooperative Nursery School Open House (7-9pm)
Monday, February 5:
*The Rowayton Library, the Rowayton Historical Society and the Rowayton Arts Center host many events. Please check for dates and details under the “Community News” section.
- About the RCA
- RCA Events
- RCA Events Calendar
- RCA “Bundle Up Rowayton”
- RCA Easter Egg Hunt
- RCA Trash Bash
- RCA Comedy Night
- RCA Memorial Day Parade
- RCA Rowayton Fun Run
- RCA 2017 Summer Music Festival
- RCA 2017 Summer Music Festival Schedule
- RCA Summer Music – McLovins play Bayley Beach – June 25
- RCA Summer Music – Spadtastics, Baby Dynamite and The Well play Bayley Beach – July 4
- RCA Summer Music – Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad plays Bayley Beach – July 9
- RCA Summer Music – Roots of Creation plays Bayley Beach – July 16
- RCA Summer Music – The Werks plays Bayley Beach – July 23
- RCA Summer Music – Spafford plays Bayley Beach – July 30
- RCA Summer Music – Upstate Rubdown plays Pinkney Park – August 13
- RCA Summer Music – Martin Sexton & Ryan Montbleau play Pinkney Park – August 20
- RCA Bluegrass Festival – Cabinet and Billy Strings play Pinkney Park – August 27
- RCA Summer Music – Eric Lindell & The Alpaca Gnomes play Bayley Beach – Sept 3
- RCA July 4th Fireworks
- RCA 2017 River Ramble
- RCA Cinema on the Sound
- RCA Ladrigan Swim Races & Family Fun Day
- RCA Youth Soccer
- RCA “September by the Sea” House Tour
- RCA Oktoberfest
- RCA Underground Youth Center
- RCA Halloween Celebration
- RCA Lights Up Rowayton!
- RCA Santa Run
- RCA Nativity Pageant
- RCA Event Photos
- Currents Newsletter
- Currents Fall/Winter 2017 Page 2
- Currents Fall/Winter 2017 Page 3
- Currents Fall/Winter 2017 Page 4
- Currents Fall/Winter 2017 Page 5
- Currents Fall/Winter 2017 Page 6
- Currents Fall/Winter 2017 Page 7
- Currents Fall/Winter 2017 Page 8
- Currents Fall/Winter 2017 Page 9
- Currents Fall/Winter 2017 Page 10
- Currents Fall/Winter 2017 Page 11
- Currents Fall/Winter 2017 Page 12
- Local Information
- Contact the RCA